The Youth Academy System Part 1 – Why Did I Do It?

20+ years, no wonder I can’t walk! So, What did I get out if it, versus What I put in? I want to reflect on my youth academy coaching and scouting experiences. I also want to sign off with some aspects that I believe could be better.

One the best coaches and people I've met & worked with in football Jay Marshall

Well, no one forced me to do it. I absolutely loved it that’s for sure. On the whole I loved learning, I loved teaching, I loved seeing players improve and achieve great things. I also loved the people, the environment, the laughing and the banter. Overall coaching in a professional environment has provided me with a balanced view of people development, I have evolved as a person in leadership, I’ve improved my presentations skills and confidence in large groups. I’ve learned to be careful with words I use when helping people and how to challenge people without crashing their confidence. I’ve learned how to handle conflict better, I learned that my energy, tonality and enthusiasm was vital, ahead of any technical content. For me, that came first. I learned the fine detail methods of elite development and performance. Most of all I’m grateful for the memories.

 

I certainly didn’t get rich doing it. I worked out once that with all the hours you put in, I was getting paid less than £2per hour. If I was not at training, I was preparing for training and games, writing player reports, updating the PMA system, creating session plans and match reports. To this day I wonder how useful that was. I bet 80% of that admin was never used or seen again. Do we really think in our wildest dreams that a manager and head of recruitment buying a 19 year old prospect thinks, lets check what his u14 coach wrote about him? I think most of it is a nonsense and waste of time to be honest.

 

With the requirements of the EPPP system and in line with a clubs syllabus and coaching ethos. If you were part-time you would be working every day. If I wasn’t coaching I was on my laptop doing football admin. I didn’t watch films, I didn’t go to the gym. If games were on TV I would not remember the result the next day. I’d be up late all the time to try and keep up. I never enjoyed this side of it.

 

I never really realised how much time I had given up until this lockdown. It’s been the 1st year in 20+ that I have not been connected to a club somehow and suddenly I found other interests. Mainly cooking. I find it relaxing and I guess there is also the element of learning that perhaps I crave. Equally there is the huge desire to create something perfect, but so far it has always followed efforts where I’ve got it wrong and made mistakes. No question, this is the case for players and certainly the case also with coaching. A concept that I don’t think is widely accepted.

 

I learned loads. The many coaching courses you go on always leave you with something. I think on these though you learn more from the other people on the course. That always fascinated me. I’ve also seen bad examples. I guess some felt like they were just more important, a bit of an ego. Its mad to think that a club crest on your chest can do that. I recall one guy refused to help and take part in the practical deliveries. All he was interested in was his own. Other than that he sat looking at his mobile. I had no ACL and was waiting for surgery, but everyone was dropping like flies as they do. A few guys were quite elderly as well, so I felt compelled to try and help. I joined in and the inevitable happened. My knee dislocated like it has done many times over the years, but this time was horrific. I had snapped two other ligaments including the LCL. It had fractured the foot of the femur and caused a bleed.  Now I needed complex innovative multi ligament reconstruction. I should have know better.


 

I’ve seen great coaches working. Steve Gallen was awesome, perhaps the best from a long list. Although watching Steve McLaren coach will always stay with me. Absolute masterclass at work and I also was fortunate to meet him a few times with my work in analysis when he was at Middlesbrough. I was greeted there by Bill Beswick who was working there as a sports psychologist and what struck me was the first impression. What a lovely guy, warm and genuine person. There I also met Gareth Southgate and something struck me the day I drove out of the training ground having met him was the same, absolute lovely guy. In fact I thought to myself, I wonder if he’s ever had a go at someone as he just came across as a really nice gentle person. Clearly hes gone on to achieve the ultimate job on football so huge respect to him.

 

I’d attended many in service days and a couple stood out. The late great Dick Bate. For me his details and energy were superb. Can still hear him. Luton Town had bought in Chris Cummins and he probably can’t remember, but he did a session and changed the size in flow. So as not to have the lads standing around waiting but to not force a session if it isn’t working. To change the tempo, make it bigger, make it smaller. Change the loads or qty of the players. I never forgot that and took it with me for years later. Great coach!

These things you pick up from so many good people changed my approach. I became a deep thinker about language. For example, we all see coaches clapping their hands and shouting come on, “tempo”. But actually, when you analyse that why are they needing more tempo? Is the session challenging enough? Is the session boring? If you are doing technical development with repetitions, for example, passing and receiving round a square and moving, guess what? Its boring! I would always make sessions like that competitive. 1st team back to where you started sit down. Or 1 minute, how most passes wins. Suddenly, without  shouting at anyone, your tapping into the players natural instinctive competitiveness.

 


Gregg Broughton was all about details and standards. Everything he did whether it was overall academy management, coaching or recruitment. Everything was clinical in terms of set up. I recall he wanted goals in all sessions and it to be directional. Whatever the topic when you really think, you can deliver all syllabus topics in that way. Thanks to him I also adopted the coaching in sessions without stopping it. Why have 10 players standing still if it only applies to one person? This also helped his challenge of keeping the ball rolling at least 80% of the session. I always aimed for 90%+. I think when your managing senior players you do have to stop the session as a whole more often, but then they need to consider more, their tactical shape in and out of possession.

 

In the youth department at Luton I think Gregg Broughton was innovative and had many EPPP things in place long before any enforcement by auditors. He had a great holistic syllabus approach to the development of players and unbelievable recruitment strategies that considering the results that system produced just endorsed his detail and diligence. But there were also great people and coaches. Dan Walder, Joe Deeney, Adam Balletta, Jay Marshal, Jon De Souza and Stuart English plus many more. I used to love going to training. In fact, after I left I would still go back to the training ground and I always felt welcome!

 

My technical analysis work which I still support today, has always thrust me into incredible environments which helped me learn more. Seeing first-hand the structure and set up of premier league football teams at first team level. I’d been into most elite training grounds as a coach with Luton Town, Norwich City and QPR so I knew how to conduct myself But I did find myself nervous going to Manchester United. Ryan Giggs was at the desk in reception. “Ryan you have forgotten to sign this stuff” The receptionist said to him. He replied, “Oh no, I’m so sorry, let me do it”, The receptionist said “no, no, don’t worry now, I was just reminding you”. He apologised again and insisted he do it. What struck me was the manners, the respect for staff. This was clearly a classy environment and in passing he said hello. Rio Ferdinand went past with the same happy demeanour and traded nice comments and as the staff offered me lunch, I stood behind Wayne Rooney in the canteen and again the manners and respect for the staff was so clear to see. In the meeting I had, all the 1st team coaching staff were there and I felt absolutely comfortable as we discussed some of the technology to support there analysis. Rene Mulensteen asked me where I coached and I told him where I had been. He proceeded to talk to me about some of that tactical thinking of Manchester United at that time. It was one the most valuable 15 minutes of my football life and for once I just shut up and listened. What an incredible environment and incredible group of people. To me, it struck me how important to success the training environment was. That work continued and enabled me to learn in great places like Blackburn Rovers, inside the innovative war room at Bolton, Manchester City, Chelsea, Spurs, Fulham and many more. Having seen 1st hand many of these teams match planning detail I really developed a keen interest in set pieces. As well as opposition analysis, tactical positions, phases of play, triggers and pitch geography in multiple formations

 

I was at QPR when EPPP was introduced and also experienced a complete management change and restructure. I was able to learn from some great people there who had unbelievable experience in the game. I was coaching Gerry Francis’s son and he would of course be at our games. I was very lucky that he would take me to one side to discuss things. He sometimes called me and even wrote me a note on a couple of occasions. It was always ideas and things he felt could be improved and would help players and I absolutely felt honoured that someone of that level of experience would take that time, I wouldn’t ignore it. I’d come across plenty of people that had no professional experience but acted like superstars with a superstar Ego. Mind you, we really did have some A list children come through our teams. It was quite funny watching people’s behaviour change around someone like David Beckham who’s son Brooklyn was in my team for a spell. I guess for many they only have limited amounts of niceness they can distribute, and they save that up to use on people that can influence their career or income.

I tried to treat Brooklyn the exact same as everyone else. Albeit at times a bit bizarre. Not because of him but some of the other stuff like security staff. Another example I was being approached by a journalist outside the training ground, I told him the only people I would talk to about Brooklyn would be his parents and the academy staff, the same as every other player.

 

I always felt that it was important to get caught being yourself. If someone of higher ranking suddenly walks past your session just carry on as normal. If your acting, you will get caught out eventually. In some cases that meant I wasn’t ‘coaching’. Well I was watching and observing but not verbally taking part. I used to chuckle when you see coaches suddenly burst into life if the 1st team staff walked past, or the head of the academy, or the chairman. The management structure change though made me question a lot of things going on. The environment became divided, and elements were toxic. I stopped smiling and enjoying it. It became a ‘job’ and I didn’t like that feeling. There were also little power struggles. This was not healthy for the players and the overall atmosphere. I remember once during a game, one of the management team walked past and shouted at a player for closing down high up the pitch. “leave him have it there and drop back in here” he shouted to the winger. He walked off to another age group. 5 minutes later the Head of Coaching walked past my teams pitch. He seen that player drop off and shouted “hey, what are you doing there? c’mon, get up there and press, work hard”

 

These sorts of contradictions became more and more regular and other things started to happen I didn’t like especially as it affected young people. The turnaround of players was way too high in my opinion. I also felt that the numbers aimed at were due to demands of EPPP and this didn’t sit well with me. I questioned aspects of the EPPP publicly and this became my downfall. I was all for change. I work in the industry of changing and future technologies. I wanted things to be better. I just felt that aspects of the structure of the EPPP needed reviewing. I still do. Its worth saying as well that it can be argued many clubs interpret these EPPP demands in different ways.

 

Taking part in tournaments abroad was great. I travelled across several countries and the experience for the boys was terrific. I always thought the players really enjoyed them. The kids love to win and there is nothing wrong with that. But generally speaking, of course in an elite environment winning is just an aspect of Psychological and tactical learning and development. We would do many things to jeopardise winning games because it helped a player develop. That could have helped him technicaly or physically.  For example, leaving players 1v1 defending on purpose, some parents would shout over thinking as managers we have missed it, but it was on purpose. Of course, we didn’t want to lose games, it just isn’t the priority and if it were, key development opportunities would be lost. Having said that, when we went to tournaments, we pretty much went with a will to win. It was good to see them in that mindset. Playing against some of the worlds most recognised teams. Bayern Munich, Ajax, PSV, Feynoord, Shalke etc. to see how these teams played was awesome. At youth level the last professional club I had a role with was at Norwich City where I hooked back up with Greg Broughton and Jay Marshal. To be part of a level 1 academy that was so well ran was terrific. I was working more on the recruitment side using my experience to identify players. I was then part of a regional centre in London I learned so much about the recruitment aspects and as normal Gregg had a really analytic and detailed approach to this.

 

To finally think about what I achieved, as a result of what I put in, yes, I think I developed as a person and increased my capabilities for work in many ways. But for all the effort, we never think about games we won, that emotion had long been removed. Also. No one cares! So, achievement has to be players that are playing at the best level they can, that you can hand on heart say, I think I helped them somehow. It’s not us as coaches alone. Coaches are quick to ‘claim’ the bragging rights to any success story. But for that person, whatever we did, worked for them. Now if the stats across football are 1:200 make it, then I can proudly say my performance is many times greater than that in terms of players I have coached, scouted and significantly influenced and are playing professional football. At the last count, it was over 20.

I was at Luton Town in the Directors box. I was working as first team scout so fairly recently. It was half time and I stood up watching the players leave the pitch. I had just watched a terrific performance for the 1st team by a young player I had coached when he was a boy at Luton. I knew some of the challenges he faced and how we tried to help him get through them. I honestly felt like a proud father. I was zoned out and smiling ear to ear as I watched him jog to the tunnel. “Tony, Tony” I heard, and it was Andy Awford, lovely fella. “Sorry Andy I was zoned out there”. I said I was just thinking about old times and he said he thought so. He went on to say a really nice thing about the work I had done there before his time that he had heard. I was incredibly grateful to hear it. I’ve seen now many of the players in live games and had similar elation. Many players in the Premier League and Football League.  I wonder if they realise how pleased I am for them. They did it, I didn’t, but I guess I can proudly say that I had been part of a committee of people (including their parents or guardians) around them that has helped and influenced them, so they were able to achieve what they had dreamt off & worked so hard to get.

That’s why I did it. That’s what I got out of it.

Comments