ACL Injuries - Do Genetics Play a Big Part?

Yesterday we learned that our Son yet again faces complex knee reconstruction surgery and his third 12 month rehabilitation. He has done this now twice and spent most of his early adult life injured due to his 3 Injured ACL’s. In fact this injury could potentially be the worse yet with unknown graded further tears in the MCL & LCL to make this a potential multi ligament reconstruction. Now these are rare, very rare! However, someone else in our household has also had rare multi knee ligament replacement, me, his Dad. So, if this is rare, then I’m clearly now thinking, surely there must be an underlining hereditary genetic disorder?

I really think this topic should be picked up globally by someone in medicine, orthopaedics, and sports injuries to deeply investigate the possibility that this is almost an accident waiting to happen in certain people with family history.

Some medical researchers have already looked into Genomics influence. Looking to highlight the invisible deficiency of a Gene affected ACL.

Is there a combination of genetic variants on areas such as collagen or one profile in particular that could affect structural function of tendons and ligaments?

Based on a conclusion, could a patient receive prevention protocols based on genetic sequencing that profiles someone of higher than normal risk?

In Summary the Family History…

My late farther: Snapped both ACL’s one in football and one working on a roof and slipped. No surgery, he just stopped activity.

Myself: Snapped ACL twice in right leg, second surgery failed. Then after over a decade of no cruciate had full reconstruction and new allograph ACL and LCL. 7xOperations on Right (Ligaments and Cartlidge) and 2 on left (Cartlidge)

My Son: Snapped ACL at 16, rehabbed. Graph failed and snapped and had reconstruction using Allograph at 19. Rehabbed and returned. Age 23, snapped ACL in other knee with multiple ligaments torn, cartilage torn and deep bone bruising.

Another rehab Dad & Son

Living with ACL injuries and failed operations long term.

I’ve certainly seen the change in the management of severe knee injuries. I did my 1st cruciate at 17 years old and I was placed in a full plaster cast from hip to ankle and I felt like my world had been tipped upside down. I always remember as well coming out of that plaster. Of course my muscle had completely wasted and I went to take a step and had no control over my leg and fell. Of course this technique would never happen now and early mobility techniques are used. I had it repaired and was playing non league football and it went again when I was 21 and this time for me it was game over. The surgeon at the time attempted reconstruction and I woke to the news that he was unable to do the repair and that my ligament was unrepairable and permanently detached. I was devastated. At the time, I was only thinking about football, what I didn’t realise was how this would affect the next 15 or so years of my everyday life.

I was always reasonably fit, I loved sport but I couldn’t do it. The trouble is that you cant see the injury though. So people would say “I have dodgy knees as well”. But, painful and swelling knees was not the only problem, I would feel guilty and so would take part in things, I couldn’t resist. But I felt embarrassed, I could see people would think your just exaggerating. However, the result was that on a regular basis my knee would dislocate. The joint coming part in that horrible way we have all seen on TV. I got used to it. I had a way of putting it back and then the huge pain would settle in around ten minutes from 10/10 down to 4/10. Then I could limp home and be out of action for 2 weeks while the swelling went down. This would happen 4-5 times a year.

At 23 my Dad suddenly passed away. Everyone that has had trauma in their life will relate to that knowledge that sport can give your brain a rest from its emotions. 90 minutes of football can take you away to a great nonreality world where you forget your personal turmoil. So, when I heard there was a football match, I could play in I decided to play. The inevitable happened and I dislocated my knee. I spoke to the doctors and he said there was no way I was going to be able to carry my dads coffin which was only days later. Of course I wasn’t accepting that and as a result they arranged a fitting for a very sturdy splint to be fitted to keep me upright and stable. This was hidden under some oversized trousers and thankfully I gritted my teeth and did it.

Other stand out memories include being carried around on a night out to wet the babies head following Jacks birth. Actually Jack was only weeks old when I was in theatre one of the many time,  and I remember easily this being the most scared I was, for obvious reasons. I couldn’t join in things with my kids growing up. I’d try and play football and end up on the floor. We went to the beach with our best friends and quickly my knee dislocated and I sat on the floor watching my best mate picking up the reigns and running around playing football with my lads.

I have no doubt that this hidden injury that no one could see held me back in my coaching career. I had cancelled many football courses that I was physically unable to attend. When I look back, I also feel that the FA who actively promote inclusion and participation for all including disability, did not compensate in any way to help or assist me. Maybe this is because people say they have a bad knee, but its not severe. I was told that to pass sessions for qualifications I simply had to follow the process and get in and demonstrate. Well, this for me was terrifying. The detail, content, structure and delivery of what I was coaching was the easy part for me. On one course, the UEFA B, all the participants have to join in, or, there is no one to coach. People of all ages, abilities and with various mobilities and capabilities. But I could feel people looking at me, like you look fit and well. I would say, sorry, I don’t have a cruciate and others would say. “yeah, well I have a dodgy knee as well”. You also see some struggling so eventually, you want to help your peers and the pressure for me mounted and in the end I gave in. Inevitably, my knee collapsed, except it was the worst ever and was so violent. My colleague at the time from Luton Town took me to hospital and I got realigned and my surgeon consultant was alerted. But the damage was terrible. Multiple ligament ruptures, ruptured blood vessels that caused bleeding all down my leg. Bucket handle cartilage tear and bone fracture at the base of the femur. But, I was strapped up and with a brace on I returned to complete the course. I was not offered any space, or time, or leeway. I remember sat at the back of the room in a presentation absolutely spaced out on Morphine and other cocktails of pain killers. This was one reason that put me off FA Courses as I didn’t feel they had suitable appreciation and mechanisms to support somebody like me, who, looked perfectly able from the outside.

Trying to do normal work was also impossible if it involved anything physical. I had grown in the AV industry and had a business installing and maintaining projectors. This included pubs and you may recall the big three gun projectors that pubs had with the big three red green blue lenses. I had an agreement to maintain these and I needed to do one myself. I was stood on the table unbolting it and just as I was about to take the weight (nearly 100kg) I twisted my hips to reach, with my feet planted. My knee dislocated and I collapsed. The projector fell from the ceiling and hit me straight in the chest and yet again I was back in hospital.

This went on for many years through my working life in Sports and Business. For those that know me will know that I covered this with comedy. Laughing and laughing at my own downfalls and bad luck. Its my coping mechanism. I was well into my thirties and had done many roles at Luton Town and had found myself doing a role for the first team which I loved. I would try to obtain as much information and tactical evidence for the manager and this would help him form his plans for the second half. This also meant I needed a good vantage point so I would often find the highest point in the stand. However, there is then a dash to the dressing room to get this info to the manager and adjust content on the screen to help the half time plan. This day was cold, I could feel my knee hurting. Just before the end of the half, I made the dash, I knew the route at Kenilworth Roads little passageways well of course, but as I came down the stairs and went to change direction, down I went. I fell. But I was embarrassed and knew the team needed my input. I limped to the dressing room and got done what I needed. but the physio, great guy Harry spotted I wasn’t right and during the managers team talk he waved me into the medical room. He started work to help me and this was a life changing moment, little did he know. He quizzed me about the history. He grabbed the doctor to help me with pain and then after the game he insisted I go back to my doctors and helped me draught a letter. He knew there had been developments in surgery and was adamant that I should not have to live like this. Within weeks I met the absolutely unbelievable guy Mr Sanjiv Manjure and he said he wanted to operate on me with a unique rare fix, But he wanted a go. Of course I jumped at it and I became a case study for the hospital as he was proud of the outcome. Finally, he gave me a secure knee I could walk on and even do some sports. Would you believe, he is now my sons surgeon. 

Now I have incredible pain in damp and cold conditions due to the arthritis and that has extended to my opposite hip which is due to years of limping. Eventually I will have my knee replaced but finally I was able to do things, play sports and I even played in some charity football matches. He even managed to extend my coaching career as a result. But by sharing more detail about my adult life with this I hope that you see why I’m now so concerned about my son and actually, for my future grandchildren.

Football is a cruel world. Its currently one that certainly shows a lot of sympathy for players that have set backs and we are very open to mental health. Well it shows this online and on social media and actually, sometimes you wonder what goes on in reality. Jack had great options and was looking at a really promising career in football. But he’s not famous yet. So, he and like many get cast aside in this game and I don’t think the support networks are there. Thankfully, we had good friends that had experienced similar set backs. Former Luton Town player Tom Craddock was one example of a tremendous human that went out of his way to try and help him on his lonely journey. Players like Jack had no opportunity to earn a few million pound before the setback so suddenly you look back at your education and acumen for the working world. I believe he and players like him should have access to a recovery fund to cover the full education costs. The club took them out of school. The club would have happily accepted sell on fees. You should not be able to simply cast these players adrift when it goes wrong. https://footballpathway.blogspot.com/2021/03/the-youth-academy-system-part-2-will.html

In summary

I think this family history and genetics subject needs investigating. Its too late for me and we will wait and see for Jack but he’s certainly been severely hampered. But what about others? Including my own future family?

The benefits in this genetic identification could be…

1)      Prevention for others. If someone is identified as having higher risk, could they have more bespoke biomechanical development plans? Is there other intervention and medicines that could be developed to help? Are there any dietary benefits or supplements to support or counter any genetic defect?

2)      Is there any evidence, that if this is genetic make up that this includes the hamstring graft. My hamstring graft failed. My sons Hamstring graft failed. Is this more than coincidental? Should allograft be considered for this group of people? Mine is stable, Jacks is stable.

We both had quite powerful quads. So this was not the issue of under muscled legs. Also, we became aware of the modern rehab techniques and jack worked so hard on hamstrings and glutes. I honestly think he had access to the best people and they gave him the best chance. Freddie Murray, John Chatfield and Justin Hill all were terrific for Jack. Again, I feel this shows that this was something the best physiotherapists could not help with. (Thanks to these great Physiotherapists) 

I would love to see a medical professional or university pick up a study of this and perhaps prevent and predict this with people that could help them reduce impact and suffering.

 

Tony McCool

@antmccool7