1st Aid & Defibrillators - At all Sporting Events & Known Public Places. My Story

Whenever something dramatic happens we are quick to look for someone to blame and criticise. Of course on reflection there are always things we would change and do differently. Im sure the broadcaster wishes they acted quicker to show Christian Eriksen and his family greater dignity. Equally, we all are able to look away or turn over. 

However, what we did see in those shocking moments was the incredible medical team calmly swing into action. I was completely numb and yet I've never met the man. Equally the massive relief and hope that came over us all when my son showed me the picture of him seemingly awake was incredible. If we went through that emotion you can only imagine the suffering and emotional roller-coaster his wife and family were going through. 

It immediately took me back to my own incident on a football pitch some 25 years ago. Basically, due to the 1st aid skill of a complete stranger I was bought back from what seemed to be a dire situation. I actually recall like yesterday the huge crack as we clashed heads and falling to the ground. I recall the next few seconds as I tried to get up and then passed out. When I did finally come round I couldn't identify anybody which of course was then terrifying but as the hours went by thank god my memory returned. Albeit I do believe it has left me with symptoms I still have today. 

One thing I do recall from that time is the trauma that it caused the people around me and my team mates. I'm sure one in particular never played football again. Of course my mental recovery seemed easier, but I didn't see it either. My girlfriend, my little sister, brother and dad did. Within days I travelled to my team-mates to show them I was ok and managed to convince them to play there next game as around half didn't want to. Now we were a local team, I can only imagine having to play this out with the globe watching. To put that ring of steal around your fallen friend to protect from the crowd and cameras. To see and hear the poor guy and subsequent intervention. Then having to try and protect his wife. Then to rap all that up, they are handed a decision making process to play or not. I cannot imagine the emotional state of them players. Huge respect to them and I hope they are able to recover from this ordeal. 

I made the decision, like many do when you realise how close you came, that I was going to not waste any time with life. I was also going to enjoy it and laugh. Within the next two years I had married my then Girlfriend and we had our first child. Sadly though, we were quickly hit with a bombshell. My dad was 48 and at work. My son was only 6 months old and thankfully met him. Sadly my 2nd child never did. But, that day he collapsed in the street for no apparent reason and with no known medical issues. A qualified first aider happened to be over the road and rushed to his aid. In under a minute he was receiving CPR following a heart attack. In less then 10 minutes he had the fast response car by his side but this was close to 10 minutes in. Within 15 minutes he was inside the back of an ambulance and had now been shocked several times with no response. 

No one was to blame, everyone tried their best. It just wasn't to be. My only regret is that the car maybe didn't get there quick enough with the defibrillator. To me that just seems like luck. I know Eriksen wont be feeling lucky, but if he does have something underlining then thank god it happened where he could get that amazing help quickly. What we now know is that your chances of surviving that complete flat line with CPR is relatively low, circa 7% I've read. Its not like the movies. But thank you to that guy who did his best which could give the person a chance if the defibrillator arrives quick. Your chances dramatically improve with the defibrillator if it arrives super quickly. I've read closer to 70%

As well as under lining health issues with your heart there can be other things that happen that could put your life at risk playing sport and ultimately, if that leads to cardiac arrest then the Defibrillator clearly gives you the best chance. I know its stating the obvious but the device should be at every sporting event at every level. That includes every school who do PE. The devices priced at around £800-£1500 is not out of this world when you consider the value. What concerns me and I've been guilty of this, is that most stadiums do have these. Including non league. but where is it? Have we practiced it? Also, what if your away? Training in a field or on nearby training pitches? These should be part of your kit as much as the balls and cones. Plus, we need regular training of how to use it properly and also check the device to make sure its working and calibrated. Not just purchased and left and forgotten about. 

Actually Id go further, a defibrillator should be at every sports facility in the country and perhaps this should be centrally funded, considering the vast amounts of money we have wasted, this would be sound investment. But from a regular day to day basis. Where are they? I believe you phone 999, they provide a location, give you a code.. this is all vital time lost. They need to be somewhere we all know in a split second. We all know where the nearest bus stop to us is for example. But perhaps the volume here could be too high? What about petrol stations? There are less than 10,000 and we all know where are local ones are. There should be a clear stand that is never blocked. It could be branded to help fund it as well. Plus every petrol station has cctv to help prevent vandals and low life thieves taking it. 

What if your away from home? Well, in case nobody has noticed, the powerhouse tech companies know a lot about us. It would be very simple for one of them to step up here, like Google, Amazon, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft etc. They have these smart voice assistance devices like Siri, Alexa, Google Smart assist, Bixby, Cortona. surely I can ask my phone and it tell me in seconds where the nearest one is?

"Where is my nearest Defib"? 

"Take me there now"

I certainly dont have anything like the ability to affect things like Christian Eriksen can, but what i can do for my little bit, is share my story and in the short term, sign a petition that supports this. If you feel the same way please see these links and sign away to get some action. 

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/677/314/880 

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament-justins-law-defibrillators-in-all-health-and-sporrs-facilities-in-the-uk



Tony McCool

@antmccool7

Comments